Supporting High Nature Value Farming in Europe
22nd-24th October 2015
Many of Europe's finest landscapes and best biodiversity is found in areas where there has been a long tradition of extensive livestock grazing or 'pastoral' farming. The decline or demise of many of these farming systems in recent years poses a serious threat to many of these landscapes and the communities within them. So what do these 'high nature value' (HNV) farmed landscapes look like, where are they, what needs to be done to sustain them and the farming communities that are so integral to their future?
Set in one of Ireland's greatest 'HNV' landscapes, the Burren, this conference heard from farmers from diverse landscapes across Europe which form part our wonderfully rich tapestry of HNV farmland. The conference also heard from a range of speakers on how such farmers can be supported - through better policy, research, funding, innovation, empowerment and networking. Conference delegates met fellow HNV enthusiasts from across Europe while taking part in Ireland's premier HNV event - the Burren Winterage weekend, including the annual 'transhumance' cattle drove, a local food fayre, open farm visits and other events.
Stories from the land: Three presentations co-hosted by farmers and researchers working in three diverse HNV farming landscape across Europe.
- Katrin McCann & Andreas Gustafsson (Sweden) - Diverse Collaboration
- Jabier Ruiz & Edu Balsells (Spain) - Involving farmers in wildfire preventions: payments for grazing services in Mediterranean Spain.
- Georges Zinsstag & Raphaele Charmetant (France) Between new eligibility rules and new result-based agro-environment schemes, HNV pastoral farmers in southern France try to get a place
Supporting HNV farming: Three presentations on different aspects of HNV which need to be addressed to strengthen support for HNVF in Europe.
- Gwyn Jones (Wales) - Better targeting of policy support to HNV farming
- James Moran (Ireland) - Research into new methods for targeting HNV farming.
- Clunie Keenleyside (UK) - New approaches to supporting HNV delivery - paying for results.
- Ronan O'Flaherty (Ireland) - Where are we now? Locally-led Schemes and the RDP
More stories from the land: Three presentations from farmers and researchers working in three diverse HNV farming landscapes across Europe.
- Patrick McGurn (Ireland) - Farming for Conservation on the Aran Islands
Tomas Faherty (Ireland) - Farming on Inis Mór
- Iris Benes (Croatia) - Common pastures in Croatia's floodplains, oases of cultural and natural heritage.
- Wolfgang Suske (Austria) - Objectives instead of measures - Result based Nature Protection plan in Austria (incl. Video interview with a farmer
Supporting HNV farmers at local, national and EU levels.
- Jabier Ruiz & Colin Gallagher - HNV farming networks in the EU and Ireland: what we have and what we need(Presentation 1, Presentation 2)
- Katrin McCann & Michael Davoren - Empowering HNV farmers through local projects
The conference was part-funded by the European Commission (DG Environment).